Local elections - How are YOU voting?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Voting intention

Conservative
22%
Labour
36%
Liberal Democrat
4%
Reform
4%
Green
7%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Residents Association
No votes
Independent
9%
Count Binface
7%
Other (Please state)
11%

Total votes: 45

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Local elections - How are YOU voting?

Post by Max B Gold »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:26 pm
Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm Interesting that the Tories are winning the poll above. This is why Opinion Polls are misleading. Tory voters like to remain anonymous.
Interesting because since the Rochdale by election I've been think that George Galloway's Workers Party could do a fair bit of damage to Labour . Just because Labour are way out in front in opinion polls it's not a slam dunk that Labour will win the next general election .
Yes it is.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Independent chap free of party political interference
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm Interesting that the Tories are winning the poll above. This is why Opinion Polls are misleading. Tory voters like to remain anonymous.
Labour surging ahead in the poll now the students have woken up

Early Tory lead from older people and people with jobs who are up early
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Curry:- Early Tory lead from older people and people with jobs who are up early.
Get real man. This ole geezer added his Labour vote at 5.30pm to make it 11 votes. Worryingly, coming out of the Polling Station at 4.30, I had words with another geezer who had voted for Reform. He didn't like being called a Fascist!
Stamford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Stamford O »

BIGRON wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 am Is the Monster Raving Looney Party a candidate 🤔
Had one where I live, otherwise known as Conservative party
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Considering how leftist dominated this message board is I’m surprised labour isn’t more than four votes in front
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Lots of cowardly tories about
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Boris Johnson turned away from polling station after forgetting ID

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68947834
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:43 am Lots of cowardly tories about
I think people are underestimating the potential for a shy Tory voter turnout out the next General Election. It's happened before when Labour were considered to be sailing to a victory. I'm not saying it will be enough to save the Tories, but Labour may not win as comfortably as some are predicting.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:39 pm Considering how leftist dominated this message board is I’m surprised labour isn’t more than four votes in front
Not really. It’s just that the lefties - dunnem, pammy, CEB etc - all make the most noise.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Dunners wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:09 am
I think people are underestimating the potential for a shy Tory voter turnout out the next General Election. It's happened before when Labour were considered to be sailing to a victory. I'm not saying it will be enough to save the Tories, but Labour may not win as comfortably as some are predicting.
Just anecdotal but my OH was working at a polling station yesterday, said it was a high turnout and lots of cab drivers & fat old men voting.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:39 pm Considering how leftist dominated this message board is I’m surprised labour isn’t more than four votes in front
They could have had one more vote had I not opted for the Binface geezer. His £1.10 croissants policy was irresistible.
Holybourne Identity
Fresh Alias

Post by Holybourne Identity »

Dunners wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:09 am
Having worked in Poll stations and on vote counts, some areas (and some people) will always vote the same way they have always voted.
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

In Thurrock, the Council is now controlled by Labour. Has been Tort since I lived here first of all. My local Tory Councillor has been thrown out on her ear'ole. Rejoice ! But Thurrock now destitute is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Be interesting to see how things roll out for Labour.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Yes..tort is a civil wrong.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Tories look like they’re going to retain some mayors which should keep Rishi in post until the election 🤞🏻
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thanks for the briefing. Is this one of them?

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Journalists on X/Twitter starting to signal that London mayoral race could be a lot closer than polls predicted, with low turnouts being reported.

Could London voters be about to gift it to the Tories (you know, the ones in actual Power) due to Labour's (the ones not in power) stance on Israel/Gaza? If so, they deserve all the Susan Hall-shaped contempt they get.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

No chance, Khan by 8-15%
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Seems pretty inevitable that Khan will win. London Mayoral elections so far have all been completely predictable. There might be a bit of a scare, but I’d be amazed if Khan didn’t win.

Though who knows quite what numbers of ULEZ cranks there are?
I do reckon there’ll be a lot of people who didn’t bother voting though
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I haven't voted in the Mayoral elections since Livingstone won first time around - is it still preferential voting or just a straight single vote?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:54 pm Journalists on X/Twitter starting to signal that London mayoral race could be a lot closer than polls predicted, with low turnouts being reported.

Could London voters be about to gift it to the Tories (you know, the ones in actual Power) due to Labour's (the ones not in power) stance on Israel/Gaza? If so, they deserve all the Susan Hall-shaped contempt they get.
Come on Dunners. Nobody gifts the Mayorality to the Tories. Stop being so entitled.

Labour have to communicate with voters and sell them stuff they like to get an X against their name. It's called centerist supermarket politics. Many progressives who would vote Labour in London really don't like the policy on Gaza and may not vote or could switch to the Greenies/Indies etc.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:17 pm
Dunners wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:54 pm Journalists on X/Twitter starting to signal that London mayoral race could be a lot closer than polls predicted, with low turnouts being reported.

Come on Dunners. Nobody gifts the Mayorality to the Tories. Stop being so entitled.

Labour have to communicate with voters and sell them stuff they like to get an X against their name. It's called centerist supermarket politics. Many progressives who would vote Labour in London really don't like the policy on Gaza and may not vote or could switch to the Greenies/Indies etc.
Which is fine. But, now that the London mayor vote is on a FPTP basis, a decision from anyone who would usually vote Khan to choose not to (or vote for one of the others) because of the PLP's stance on Gaza, has the effect of gifting a vote to Susan Hall. And, in the unlikely event that Hall beats Khan, they need to own that and whine on endlessly about it.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:26 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:17 pm

Which is fine. But, now that the London mayor vote is on a FPTP basis, a decision from anyone who would usually vote Khan to choose not to (or vote for one of the others) because of the PLP's stance on Gaza, has the effect of gifting a vote to Susan Hall. And, in the unlikely event that Hall beats Khan, they need to own that and whine on endlessly about it.
I think my point was more that Labour are not entitled to the vote if their policies are incongruent with the voters values and beliefs.

PLP or not it is Labours official position on Gaza and supporters have reacted to that. It's not the gift of a vote to the fascistic Susan Hall but a failure of Labour to win it.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

That seems a rather lopsided way of looking on it. The “failure of Labour to win it” may well be something for Labour to reflect on. But the impact of not voting for the least worst option, taking on board every issue rather than one, is one that would be felt disproportionately by those who couldn’t hold their nose.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the Tory voters are pretty damned good at voting for their overall interests